Rolls-Royce Phantom IV – Luxury Cars of the 20th Century
Built specifically to order, the Rolls Royce Phantom IV, like to the Bugatti Royale, was designed and built exclusively for the royalty, fitting Rolls Royce’s “Royalty and Heads of State only” policy. The Phantom IV was originally planned as a one-off, after the Duke of Edinburgh expressed interest in including a car capable of performance in the Royal Mews. However, an order for three armoured limousines from the Spanish government led to Rolls-Royce creating a limited run of 18 Phantom IV’s. Rolls-Royce provided Prince Phillip and Princess Elizabeth II with the first Phantom IV finished in H.J. Mulliner coachwork and trimmed in blue leather and grey cloth in 1950.
As each Phantom IV was bespoke to its owner’s preference, the 18 cars widely differ from each other. Nine were finished in H.J. Mulliner bodies, seven by Hooper and one each by Park Ward and French coachbuilder, Franay. Rolls-Royce sold Phantom IV’s to individuals including the Shah of Iran, the 1st Emir of Kuwait, Prince Henry, Princess Marina of Greece and Denmark, Princess Margaret and Spanish dictator, Francisco Franco, who commanded a fleet of three armoured Phantom IV’s, a 5 seat model, a 7 seat and a cabriolet.